Australian cricket star Nathan Lyon addresses quarantine ahead of Ashes against England this summer

Test star Nathan Lyon says quarantine is a “small price to pay” for having the chance to play in the Ashes this summer.

The series had been under a cloud for weeks after England players expressed significant concerns with quarantining upon arrival in Australia and with spending time in bubbles.

However, an 11th-hour meeting between players, Cricket Australia and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) this week appears to have saved the five-Test series, which will commence at the Gabba in December.

Catch all the ICC T20 World Cup action live & exclusive to Fox Cricket, available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today.

Lyon said he was “happy” to comply with tough Covid-19 restrictions if it meant representing his country.

“I’ve got no dramas with quarantine. I’m happy to jump in there and get it done,” he told reporters on Thursday.

“To be honest with you, it’s a pretty small price to pay to go out there and have the opportunity to go out and play cricket for Australia.”

Despite the absence of English strike weapons Ben Stokes and Jofra Archer, Lyon said he expected to come up against a formidable English outfit this summer.

“I’m expecting a full-strength England side to come out,” he said.

“Ashes series are the types of series that make people’s careers, so I’m 100 per cent getting ready for the Ashes and the first Test at the Gabba.

“An Ashes series is extremely special, so we’re looking forward to a fantastic summer ahead.

“It’s the pinnacle for Australian cricket.”

Lyon is one wicket shy of 400 Test dismissals. Picture: Patrick Hamilton / AFPSource: AFP

Lyon anticipates plenty of feeling between the two sides, given the highly publicised build-up to the series.

“No doubt there’ll be some comments flying around and creating a bit of theatre, which I’m all for,” Lyon said.

“It should be a lot of fun.”

Lyon, 33, comes into the series having not played a cricket match since April.

Covid-19 concerns kept the Aussie Test side from touring over the winter, and Lyon was overlooked for the T20 and ODI tours of Bangladesh and the West Indies, which he admitted was disappointing.

“100 per cent I was disappointed. That drives me even more,” he said.

Lyon has found an upside to being snubbed from the Aussie touring sides.

“It’s been really productive this off-season,” he said.

“This is my first ever pre-season in ten years of first-class and international cricket.

“It’s been a really good opportunity to get back to the basics.”

Lyon will return to red-ball cricket with NSW in the Sheffield Shield ahead of the Ashes. Picture: Mark Evans / Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images

Western Australia’s strict border regulations could force the fifth Ashes Test out of Perth. Canberra and Sydney have been floated as plan B options, but Lyon said he had no preference as to where his side played.

“All that’s out of my control. Do I have a preference? No, I’m just looking forward to playing five Test matches for Australia against England,” he said.

“Doesn’t really matter where we play, I’ll be excited and looking forward to getting out there.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *